Diverting this material from the solid waste stream helps extend the usable space of the landfill and keep methane-producing materials out of the landfill. Methane is 20 times more destructive than carbon dioxide as a greenhouse gas and must be addressed as part of our landfill operations and permitting.
We offer separate disposal of green waste at the Sudbury Compost Facility or through our subscription service for residential curbside collection.
GroWW Compost Products
GroWW Compost and 50/50 Blend products are currently offered for retail and wholesale.
GroWW products can be used in a variety of applications from gardening to lawn rehabilitation to erosion control. Our knowledgeable staff can help you determine which product is best for your project as well as how much you need.
Amended soil retains moisture better and provides natural nutrients that can help reduce the amount of pesticides and fertilizers that you need to use - healthy plants are better able to ward off diseases and pests. Using locally produced compost will reintroduce local organic nutrients into your soil.
Each batch of compost is independently tested before it is sold so you can trust that you are getting a quality product that is better for your plants and the environment!
Green Waste Drop-off
Separation of green waste is encouraged by a lower tip fee per ton than for regular garbage that is brought to the landfill. However, loads containing any unacceptable items will be charged at the regular solid waste tip fee per ton; loads are inspected by compost facility staff for compliance.
- Green waste must be free of any other garbage or debris to be accepted at the lower tip fee
- Loads should be covered to keep material from flying out of the vehicle when traveling on roadways.
- All material must be removed from bags or bundles before placing in the green waste drop-off area.
- Tree trimmings
- Limbs (less than 16" in diameter)
- Grass clippings
- Garden waste
- Hay/Straw/Bedding (no twine or carnivorous animal manure)
- Painted or treated wood products
- Limbs (larger than 16" in diameter)
- Landscaping fabric
- Plastic lawn edging
- Carnivorous animal manure
- Plastic bags
- Miscellaneous non-organic lawn debris