What We Do
Responsibilities of the Solid Waste Division are:
- Providing residential and commercial garbage collection within the City of Walla Walla
- Providing residential green waste collection within the City of Walla Walla
- Managing the residential curbside recycling collection program within the City of Walla Walla
- Funding the annual leaf collection program within the City of Walla Walla
- Operating the Sudbury Landfill which serves all of Walla Walla County
- Operating the Sudbury Compost Facility
- Operating the Household Hazardous Waste Facility and providing disposal of household hazardous waste for all residents of Walla Walla County
- Managing the Coordinated Prevention Grant outreach programming on behalf of Walla Walla County
- Coordinating solid waste planning efforts on behalf of Walla Walla County
Please see our Rates page for a current list of rates and fees for the landfill, compost facility, garbage pickup, green waste pickup, and recycling.
What are the hours at the Landfill?
- Winter Hours: Monday through Saturday - 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.; November through February
- Regular Hours: Monday through Saturday – 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.; March through October
Where do I drop off my sharps?
Sharps generated by households can be disposed of at the Household Hazardous Waste facility at the Sudbury Road Landfill. Sharps must be placed in labeled, sealed, and puncture-resistant containers; an old bleach bottle or laundry detergent bottle works well for this. Sharps generated by care-facilities should be treated as medical waste and handled according to the facility’s disposal plan. Commercial medical waste pickup and disposal service is available from the Sanitation Division.
Where is the Landfill?
The Landfill is located approximately 3.5 miles west of Walla Walla at 414 Landfill Road. Going west on Highway 12, turn right (North) on Sudbury Road, then right on Landfill Road (heading East).
Where do I dispose of my fluorescent bulbs?
Fluorescent bulbs (compact fluorescent lights/CFL’s) and linear tubes are accepted free of charge at the Household Hazardous Waste facility located at the Sudbury Road Landfill. Effective January 1, 2013, it is illegal under Washington state law to dispose of mercury-containing lights in the garbage. For more information, please visit the Department of Ecology website: http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/swfa/mercurylights/.
Where do I dispose of my glass items?
Please dispose of glass in your regular garbage container. Effective July 27, 2012, the City suspended the glass collection/recycling program. Walla Walla Recycling also stopped accepting glass as of June 1, 2012.
When will you pick up my garbage if a holiday falls on my pick up day?
All residential customers whose services falls on a holiday will be serviced the next working day. This includes garbage, recycling, and green waste services.
How do I get a smaller garbage can?
Residential customers who subscribe to the curbside Green Waste pick up service are eligible to request a smaller garbage can. Green Waste subscribers can elect to keep their 90 gallon garbage can for the regular monthly rate or get a 64 gallon garbage can for a reduced monthly rate.