Walla Walla’s fire service was first organized in 1864 in the form of three different volunteer companies, the Tiger Company, Washington Company, and Our Boys. All of the fire apparatus were pulled and operated by hand until the acquisition of Walla Walla’s first horse drawn steamer in 1887; in which a fire burned down half of the town. Tiger Company operated the steamer with borrowed horses until they bought their first horse in 1890. The City of Walla Walla formed a full time paid department in 1903, choosing nine members from the three volunteer companies. The volunteers continued to supplement the paid department until 1924.